I decided to keep a blog for fear that I would lose my journals that only exist in physical form. I guess I'm a true product of my generation because I shudder at the idea of not having an electronic copy of everything I write. Anyways, I'll move past all the formalities and relay some initial thoughts and feelings.
Peru!
I landed a few days ago in Lima. The 8-hour layover in Fort Lauderdale wasn't all that bad. I think, for those traveling this way, it might be worth stepping outside the airport and seeing the beach for a few hours. I wasn't smart enough to think of this at the time and only came to see this possibility after it was pointed out to me. Flight to Lima wasn't all that bad. Though I did anticipate some sort of dinner or snack but none was ever offered. Gotta love discount airlines!
Arrival in Lima was not bad at all. Kyle's friend Riki arrived shortly after I landed and we had no trouble finding each other and returning to his house. I've been here since last Thursday and things have been great. We've been down to the oceanfront. We've met up with many of his friends from high school. And Riki speaks fluent English so it's been nice to have a translator for any conversations that I cannot fully understand (which at this point is still almost ALL of the conversations I'm having...but things are getting better).
The city is much larger than I had envisioned. I suppose with a population of 10 million, it would have to be. I will say that Lima still offers English-only speakers to get around so I haven't felt entirely lost. though I have felt self-conscious about my speaking spanish, i'm working to overcome the fear. after all, mastering the language is one of the main reasons for my travels here.
Below are some photos from a wonderful excursion throughout Lima's city center. Riki and I met up with two of his friends, Violeta and Victoria (sisters who speak fluent English, Spanish, Cantonese, and still another Chinese dialect!!), and we all spent the day in Lima's equivalent of "Chinatown" as well as around La Plaza de Armas where one can find El Palacio Gobierno (essentially on the same level as the U.S. White House). Apparently Peru has the second largest number of people of Chinese decent outside of China (only after the U.S.!) We stopped at a Chifa (Chinese restaurant) because Victoria and Violeta's mom (who joined us for the trip) wanted me to try truly authentic Chifa cuisine.
After trying at least ten dishes of which I do not know the names (though I did recognize the chicken feet after biting into this cold, spicy, and rather new tasting delicacy), I was stuffed and we all decided to take a walk from "Chinatown" to the city center (only a few blocks away).
Not really sure what cathedral this is...
Riki, Victoria, and Violeta
Walking through Universidad Pontifica Catolica del Peru
All in all, a great day. I'm excited about Li's arrival on Wednesday. Though she'll be gettin in late, we will still have Thursday to see much of the city. Bianca and Mike will be here too! It should be an exciting week. More reflections and less of my simple descriptions to come soon! A long day traveling around the city center has left me ready for a nice early evening nap!